Australian Cricketers’ Association had pushed for all three to be able to return to representative cricket immediately
Steve Smith and David Warner will serve out their one-year bans, and Cameron Bancroft his nine-month suspension, in full after a review of the punishments by the board of Cricket Australia, the governing body said on Tuesday.
Former Test captain Smith, his vice-captain Warner and batsman Bancroft were handed the bans from international and state cricket after the ball-tampering scandal in South Africa earlier this year.
The Australian Cricketers’ Association (ACA) have always contested the bans were unduly harsh and have continued to push for all three to be able to return to representative cricket immediately.
“The Cricket Australia Board has carefully considered all elements of the ACA submission and has determined that it is not appropriate to make any changes to the sanctions handed down to the three players,” Cricket Australia’s interim chairman Earl Eddings said in a statement.
The calls for the bans to be reviewed intensified after a cultural review into Cricket Australia last month that suggested that the culture fostered in the game by the governing body had contributed to the incident in a Test against South Africa.