57-year-old man who returned from Italy is Bengal’s first coronavirus death

0
75

KOLKATA: A 57-year-old man, who tested positive for COVID-19 on Saturday night, died on Monday afternoon. This is Bengal’s first death from the coronavirus.

Health department officials said the body of the victim would not be handed over to the family and the state government would dispose of it.

The victim’s wife, son and two other family members have been sent to the quarantine centre at Rajarhat and the domestic help of the family was admitted to Beleghata ID Hospital.

The man had gone to Italy where his son studies and returned recently. His son too visited home last month. “He attended a social gathering in Chhattisgarh two weeks ago and returned by train. We are trying to identify his co-passengers,’’ said an official.

The man was admitted to a private healthcare unit on March 16 with breathing problems and cough. On April 19, swabs were collected and reports received from the SSKM Hospital confirmed the man had contracted the virus. Samples were sent to Pune for a second test which also corroborated the results of the SSKM test.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here