Home INTERNATIONAL Coronavirus | China virus deaths rise past 900, overtaking SARS toll

Coronavirus | China virus deaths rise past 900, overtaking SARS toll

0
14

With 91 more people dying in Hubei, the province at the centre of the outbreak, the toll is now higher than the 774 killed worldwide by Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).

The number of confirmed infections in China has reached 40,171 nationwide with more than 3,000 new cases reported, the National Health Commission said on February 10.

The latest data came after the WHO said the last four days had seen “some stabilising” in Hubei, but warned the figures could still “shoot up”.

The virus is believed to have emerged late last year in Hubei’s capital Wuhan, where residents are struggling to get daily supplies.

The epidemic has prompted the government to lock down whole cities as anger mounts over its handling of the crisis — especially after a whistleblowing doctor fell victim to the virus.

With much of the country still not back at work after an extended Lunar New Year holiday, cities including financial hub Shanghai ordered residents to wear masks in public.

Michael Ryan, head of the WHO’s Health Emergencies Programme, said the “stable period” of the outbreak “may reflect the impact of the control measures”.

A WHO “international expert mission” left late on February 9 for China, the agency’s director general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Twitter. The mission is led by Bruce Aylward, a veteran of previous health emergencies.

While the death toll has climbed steadily, new cases have declined since the single-day peak of nearly 3,900 people nationwide on February 5.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

HK - Like Us