Thiruvananthapuram: Renowned snake catcher Vava Suresh suffered a snakebite and was subsequently hospitalised on Thursday. Suresh was bitten by a pit viper he was trying to catch.
According to sources, the incident occurred at Pathanapuram while Suresh was trying to catch the viper. The snake bit him on the middle finger of his right hand. He was rushed to Government Medical College Hospital, Kollam, and from there to the Government Medical College Hospital, Thiruvananthapuram.
Thiruvananthapuram MCH superintendent Dr M S Sharmad said that Suresh was admitted to the multidisciplinary intensive care unit immediately around 1.30pm and was administered anti-venom.
“At present, his condition is stable. But, we will have to keep him under observation for 72 hours,” Dr Sharmad said.
The main concern of the doctors is the history of Suresh facing numerous snakebites in the past. In all those cases, anti-venom was administered to his body. The doctors worry that anti-bodies that counter the anti-venom might have formed in his body during those instances. If so, the anti-venom administered in the latest case would have minimal impact.
Viper venom affects coagulation of blood and would cause excessive bleeding internally, especially in lungs. It also affects renal functions of the body. Dr Sharmad said that at present Suresh’s body has not displayed any such effects. But, there is a chance that adverse reactions may take place again. Hence, he is kept under 72-hour observation. Just over a year ago, Suresh had suffered a snakebite.