With environmental concerns taking the centrestage in today’s world, courses in environmental management have a special significance.
The study and management of environment is multidisciplinary in content. It draws from diverse branches of science and technology.
Most of us become temporarily aware of our environment on June 5 every year, the World Environment Day, and perhaps forget it soon. The future of humanity depends to a large extent on how well we preserve our environment. Ecology, the study of relationships between living organisms and between organisms and their environment, dictates certain norms of good behaviour for our species to survive on this planet. Air and water cycle systems that support our life and the continuing supply of energy are determined by the quality of our environment.
Thoughtless application of technology to satisfy our greed may in the long run end up in environmental degradation. Maintenance of forests, preservation of wild life habitats, and prevention of air and water pollution are possible only through planned and organised efforts.
A passionate concern for environmental protection has to be followed up through intelligent management. No manager can afford to be indifferent to obligations on the environmental front.
We have great concern for development, which often overlooks the possibilities of environmental degradation. If developmental programs should reap the benefits envisaged, we have to strike a happy balance between environment and development.
The study and management of environment is multidisciplinary in content. It draws from diverse branches of science and technology. Elements of subjects such as hydrology, water and land management, preservation of flora and fauna, atmospheric sciences, pollution control, remote sensing and geographic information system, waste management, sustainable energy systems, geology, toxicology, oceanography, biodiversity conservation, population studies, economics, sociology, and psychology may have to be applied at some stage or another.
Several universities conduct postgraduate courses in environmental science / technology / engineering. Facilities for management studies in this area are relatively few. Some of them are indicated below.
1. Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli – 620024: Two-year M.B.A. program in Environmental Management.
The program provides value based education with a strong technological, scientific, capacity building background for addressing the environmental crisis and challenges. It trains the candidates at an advanced level through exposure to environmental problems and issues in a scientific framework and developing methodologies for solving problems. It aims to help develop skills to master the systematic implementation of existing environmental policies in achieving the declared objectives.
The topics covered include the following.
• Bioremediation – management tool for cleaner environment
• Corporate environmental strategy
• Ecology and environmental sciences
• Energy and environment
• Environmental economics / impact and risk assessment / legislation and justice / pollution and assessment
• Forest resource management
• Micro and macro economics
• Operations research
• Research methodology
• Statistics and quantitative techniques
• Waste management and industrial ecology
Selection of students through departmental entrance examination. Questions will be of both objective and descriptive types covering three areas – Basics of Environmental Sciences (70%) English, Basic Arithmetic and current General Knowledge (30%).
2. The School of Environment Management, Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Kashmere Gate, Delhi – 110006. Master’s program in Environmental Management (M.Sc.).
The thrust areas of the program are regional environmental and resource planning, air pollution control in urban areas, solid waste management, and renewable energy. The course covers areas including the following subjects.
• Air pollution and control
• Ecology and sustainable development
• Energy and environment
• Energy management and planning
• Environmental bio-technology / geology & natural disaster management / impact assessment and risk analysis / management and planning / microbial technology / microbiology and chemistry /modelling / monitoring / sampling and data analysis
• Industrial pollution control
• Land use survey and GIS applications
• Natural resources management and economics
• Organisational behaviour
• Project management
• Remote sensing / GIS techniques in environmental management
• Solid waste management and disposal
• Statistical techniques applied to environmental systems
• Water and wastewater treatment
3. Institute of Environment & Management, Lucknow
The primary objective of the institute is to serve the industrial sector of the country in various fields of environment and management.
It conducts two programs, each of three years duration in the distance education mode.
a)P.G. Program in Environment Management
b)M.B.A (Industrial Pollution Control)
4.Environment Protection Training and Research Institute (EPTRI), 91/4, Gachibowli, Hyderabad – 500 032 provides training, consultancy, applied research services and extends advocacy in the area of environment protection to industries, regulatory bodies, Government Organizations and NGOs.
5.Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (Department of Civil Engineering) – 208016 – M Tech in Environmental Engineering and Management (EEM) Program.
6.Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management (IISWBM) Kolkata-700 073 – Post Graduate Diploma in Management, Environment Management
7.National Institute of Industrial Engineering (N I T I E), Vihar Lake, Mumbai – 400087 – Post Graduate Diploma In Industrial Safety and Environmental Management (PGDISEM), open to graduates in all branches of engineering/technology
8.Institute of Management and Computer Studies, Thane, Mumbai – 400 604 offers Environ Management as an optional paper in the Master of Management Studies (MMS) programs, specialising in Personnel, Marketing, Finance, Operations, and Systems
9.SRM University, Kattankulathur, Kanchipuram District, – 603 203 offers Environment Management as an elective in its MBA program.
10.Vikram University, Ujjiain – P.G.Diploma in Environmental Management
11. School of Environmental Sciences, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam – M.Sc. Environmental Sciences and Management.
12. School of Environmental Sciences, Cochin University of Science & Technology, Kochi – 682 022 – M Sc Environmental Technology (Two streams: Environmental Engineering & Environmental Biotechnology)
13. Forest Research institute University, Dehradun – 248 195 – M Sc Environment Management. Admission for those with a degree in applied sciences / forestry / agriculture / environmental science.
(The list is indicative and not exhaustive.)
more recommended stories
Volkswagen Group To Cut Down On Environmental Impact By Half Till 2025
The Volkswagen Group has announced that.
BP’s defense attorney tapped for Trump’s environmental team
D.C.-based lawyer Jeffrey B. Clark has.
Brazil’s rollback of environmental rules a blow to Paris climate pact
SAO PAULO – Brazil is considering.
Indian-American among 12 new astronauts chosen by NASA
U.S. Space Agency, the National Aeronautics.